I was quite flattered when a woman came up to me the other evening at a music event in Wheeler. She said she was a big Cafe Vaquera fan, listening in her car as she heads home from rehearsal on Tuesday nights. It turns out she plays cello in the North Coast Symphony Orchestra. (Might not be the exact name.) We got to talking about the cello and we are seeing more and more of it's footprint at the indie and bluegrass festivals. This show features some great cello numbers. Enjoy...
(Photo by Cat McAdam.)
Cafe Vaquera with Calamity Jane...
March 23, 2010
1. The Play-Rite Boys, "Calamity Jane Theme," by Teddy Deane, 2009. www.teddydeane.com
2. Velvida Underground, "Janie's Flyin'," by Mike Danner, Rocket Songs, 20 Watt Records.
3. Crooked Still, "Florence," by T.W. Carter, 1844, Still Crooked, Signature Records 2008.
4. Michael Hurley, Unholy Modal Rounders, & Jeffrey Frederick and the Clamtones, "Midnight in Paris," by Con Conrad and Herb Magidson, HAVE MOICY!, Rounder Records 1976/ 1991.
5. The Duhks, "Sleepin' is All I Wanna Do," Fast-Paced World, Sugar Hill 2008.
6. The Avett Brothers, "Will You Return?", by the Avett Brothers, Emotionalism, Ramseur Records.
7. Sam Bush, "White Bird," by David LaFlamme and Linda LaFlamme, Laps in Seven, Sugar Hill 2006.
8. Anny Celsi, "Now You Can Hurt Me," by Anny Celsi, Tangle-Free World, Ragazza 2009.
9. The Wiyos, "Roll on Down the Road," by Parrish Ellis, Broken Land Bell, The Wiyos 2009.
10. Mike Marshall and Darol Anger, "In the Pines," traditional, The Duo Live.
11. Mike Marshall and Darol Anger, "The Gator Strut," by Mike Marshall, The Duo Live.
12. Crooked Still, "Wind and Rain," traditional, Shaken by a Low Sound, 2006.
13. Ben Sollee, "Panning for Gold," by Ben Sollee, Learning to Bend, 2008.
14. Ben Sollee, "Bury Me with my Car," by Ben Sollee, Learning to Bend, 2008.
RIP MARVA WRIGHT, THE QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS BLUES MUSIC.
15. Marva Wright, "Built for Comfort," by W. Dixon, Marvalous, Mardi Gras.
16. Hunger Mountain Boys, "I've Got the Blues Mary," by Kip Beacco, Three, Old-Fi Records 2006.
17. The Crooked Jades, "Ring the Moon," by Kazor, World's on Fire, Jade Note 2006.
18. The Wood Brothers, ""One More Day," by O. Wood, Ways Not to Lose.
19. Jonathan Edwards, "Sometimes," by Jonathan Edwards, Telluride Bluegrass Festival Vol. 1, Planet Bluegrass 2002.
20. Left-Hand String Band, "Keep Those Home Fires Burning," by Dre Emmitt, Telluride Bluegrass Festival Vol. 1, Planet Bluegrass, 2002.
21. Ane Weiss, "Come on in my Kitchen," by Robert Johnson, Concrete World and the Lovers Dream, Anne Weiss 2008.
22. C.W. Stonekind, "Housebound Blues," by C.W. Stoneking, Jungle Blues, King Hokum 2008.
23. Marva Wright, "Nothing Takes the Place of You," by Toussaint McCall and Patrick Robinson, Heartbreakin' Woman, Mardi Gras 1998.
24. Marva Wright, "Feel Like Breaking Up Somebody's Home," by Al Jackson Jr. and Timothy Matthews, Heartbreakin' Woman, Mardi Gras 1998.
25. Kermit Ruffins, "Bogalusa Strut," traditional, Swing This, Basin St. 1999.
26. Professor Longhair, "In the Wee Wee Hours," By P. Longhair, Crawfish Fiesta, Jazz Heritage 1996.
27. Jimmy Thackery and John Mooney, "Take Time," by Davis, Sideways in Paradise.
28. Denise Drake, "See You When I See You," by Denise Drake, Read My Lips, Smokin' Mamma.